Saturday, July 5, 2008

Thought of the day

I was just reading the New York Times online and came across this article:

US
As Gas Prices Soar, Elderly Face Cuts in Aid
By JOHN LELAND
Published: July 5, 2008
Fuel costs have stifled agencies that deliver meals to or provide transportation for senior citizens.

I hadn't really thought about the impact of gas and food prices on the elderly, especially those in suburban and rural areas.

I think this is all the more reason why the trend of people moving into cities will increase dramatically. However, for now, urgent help is needed.

New York's Capital District, where I grew up, is a beautiful area to live. But it is very spread out, and a car is an absolute necessity. I Googled around to find out what organizations provide meals on wheels and transportation for the elderly, and I found Senior Services of Albany. I'm going to send over a donation today.

No comments: