Monday, July 21, 2008

Project Amigo update

As I blogged earlier this month, before I went to Mexico, I emailed Stan, my host at Casa de las Flores, if I could bring down any donations for local charities. (This is something I didn't even know was possible until our trip to Guatemala this year. From now on, I will be finding out about what donations are needed and how to give them whenever I travel to a developing country.)

Stan directed me to Project Amigo. So, in my suitcase I packed a backpack and some children's clothes that my mom and I purchased over 4th of July weekend. These I gave Stan before I left. Now, I just got an email from Susan and Ted, who run Project Amigo.

We got a call from La Casa de Las Flores on Friday advising us that a visitor had left behind a mochila and clothing for Project Amigo. We picked them up Saturday afternoon, and are back at our computers today to say thank you.

It’s a great quality pack that we think we’ll give to our high school senior who is intent on going to medical school when he finishes high school next summer. (Eight of our high school scholarship recipients are finishing up a month in Utah – they’ve gotten to ice skate, play in the snow, camp in Yellowstone, visit canyons, caves and lakes, do a “ropes course” at Utah State, and so much more. And our future medical school student is part of this group. He’s having the time of his life...)

The clothing in the pack will go to littler kids. We have a project at a migrant labor camp in the town of Queseria where the families of sugar cane cutters live – some permanently, and some come and go with the cutting season. The workers there know the story you experienced on your way to Tequila all-too-well – the strike at the mill. There’s a sugar mill in the town of Queseria, and the workers are brought in to cut the cane in late November (when the rainy season stops). Last November there was a strike at the mill, the workers had been brought in, but there was no mill to take the cane to – therefore no cutting of cane, and no wages. No wages meant no food. (Visit: http://www.projectamigo.org/VOL.htm and click on December 2007 work week.)

When you next visit Mexico, we hope you’ll add Colima and Project Amigo to your list.

Thank you, again, for the day-pack and the clothing, and for the goodwill you put forth in our world.

Best wishes,
Susan and Ted

No comments: